It is always a great idea to be helpful, in fact it is a brilliant idea! This is something which is really worth taking the time and ensuring that you are a helpful au pair. Being helpful means that you go above and beyond what is required of you. The little things that you do will go a long way and helpfulness is such a lovely character trait.
Here are a few tasks which will prove you to be a helpful au pair:
- Rinsing your and the child’s plate after lunch.
- Putting their dirty school uniform in the wash basket when they get changed after school.
- Taking their used lunch boxes to the kitchen after school.
- Hanging up their uniform ready for the next morning.
- Tidying up the playroom/bedroom after play time.
- Packing away crayons/paints/glue etc after arts and crafts.
- Helping the children wash hands after outdoor play/arts and crafts.
- Offering to run the bath for the children at the end of the day.
- Tidying up/neatening the homework area ready for mum to check.
- Wash up dishes you and the kids use during the day.
- Perhaps offer to babysit one evening after hours so the parents can have ‘date night’.
Parents will always appreciate it when you go out of your way to be helpful. No one wants a lazy au pair, or someone who just does the bare minimum. If you ensure that you do your job to the best of your ability with a great attitude, you will be sure to have a fantastic relationship with the family. You will often find that the family will go out of their way to help you, if you show enthusiasm and eagerness to help. It is of the utmost importance that you develop a good, strong relationship with the family. If you go out of your way to help and offer help, this will aid in building a strong bond between you and the family.
Love Fab Au Pairs xoxo